Exercise and the Holidays?
Sure you are running around all day this time of the year, but are you active enough? Often the combination of stress, food everywhere and no free time equals no exercise and another 10 pounds to lose beginning on January 1. This year, start the New Year off ahead by staying active during the busiest time of the year. Here are a few strategies that may work for you:
- Shop online and reduce the stress of battling traffic while you save money and time. Oh yeah, you can use the extra time to exercise.
- If you must go to the store, park a little farther away and walk.
- At the mall, take a lap or two and browse some calories off.
- Try a gym or exercise class you’ve never been to before. Gyms are less crowded this time of the year and you may get a good deal.
- Make on family activity more active. Take a walk and look at the Christmas lights, go ice skating, walk around the block with your peppermint mochas, play touch football between first and second dessert or try skiing for the first time.
- If you are traveling, most hotels have a pool or fitness area so you don’t have to miss your workout.
- And remember to pack you workout clothes or bring an exercise band with you.
- If you have guests staying with you, invite them for a walk or bike ride. Sometimes getting out of the house is a great way to reconnect.
- For something completely different, find a tree farm to get your Christmas tree. Searching for, cutting and hauling your tree out of the forest will make you break a sweat.
- Schedule 30 minutes of exercise every day. If nothing else, you’ll make room for dessert.